Monday, March 19, 2012

Sleepy Hollow (1999)


                I have had an interest in the legend of sleepy hollow since I was a boy.  Although I’ve yet to read Washington Irving’s tale the mere idea of the story gets me excited.  It began with an episode from the cartoon series, “The Real Ghostbusters” in which the headless spirit tormented a descendant of Ichabod Crane.  My imagination ran wild with the idea of a man with no head throwing around blazing pumpkins.  It was scary and so much was unknown of the headless rider.

                Tim Burton and Johnny Depp seem destined for all time to work well together.  It wouldn’t be such a horrible thought either as they churn out remarkable films.  The story for the movie is that Ichabod Crane (Johnny Depp) is investing a string of murders in Sleep Hollow.  The town and the people in it have a classic Burton quality.  The dark surroundings and the ominous fog loaming about make up the entire environment throughout the whole film.

                 Christopher Walken as the headless horseman was more comical to me than scary.  When I first seen he was rider it felt like a parody of some sort.  I couldn’t grasp that he was seriously the headless horseman.  I think another actor could have fit better.  I like Walken, but it didn’t suit me.  I honestly saw myself laughing at him more often than not.  Christina Ricci (plays Katrina Van Tassel) was in a starring role, what happened to her anyway?  Casper Van Dien (plays Brom Van Brunt) was a surprise!  I didn’t know he was in it.  I’ll admit he isn’t a lead actor by any means but he played the side role well and he had a gruesome death scene as well!  It was also great to see Christopher Lee in the opening scenes.

                Burton has that very unique approach to his films; it’s a welcome feeling as he creates the world you are taking in.  It’s a feeling of a world that is never like our own and that’s why I love movies, to see something different.  The movie is a bit horrific as you see decapitations and blood enough to fill your daily dose for awhile.  If you enjoy Burton’s particular style I see no reason why you won’t like this one.  I’d say it’s good for a view around all hollow’s eve each year.

                Rating: 7 of 10


The labels just below can link you to similar posts about this one so check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment